How Smart People Handle Difficult Situations
All Singaporeans have attitude – some are easy to bear with, some are difficult. Regardless of the attitude of the people you meet, it is important that you know how to handle them because it can make you successful at the end of the day. It is helpful that you have this kind of emotional intelligence so you can deal with people especially those that are toxic or difficult.
Here’s how you should handle difficult people:
- Establishing boundaries. At the beginning, smart people already know that they cannot please everybody. You can start with that. Once you accept that, you will not sell yourself short. You will instead rise above amidst the chaos and establish some distance or boundaries with difficult people.
- Focusing on solutions. You should not waste your time trying to understand difficult people and changing them. Instead of focusing on them, why not focus on the problems and make actions. It will better the odds. There is no point listening to their negativity.
- Being self-aware. When you are aware of your weaknesses and strengths, you have better chances of outsmarting difficult people. When you are met with different stress every day, by knowing your weaknesses and strengths, you do not allow difficult people to influence your actions.
- Learning from the situation. Yes you can forgive but you cannot forget because it served as your lesson learned. All these years, you have learned that experience is the best teacher. You can protect yourself from the claws of negative or difficult people by remembering the lessons you learned in life.
- Tuning out negativity. There is no surprise that difficult people always speak of negativity and criticism. You should be wise enough not to listen to them because chances are they are just making things a lot messier. You should not listen or even engage in negativity and criticism talks.
- Saving energy. Difficult people will stir disagreement and fight. If you are involved, you will be damaged. The best way is to save all your energy for the next day. Do not respond to all negative things you hear.
- Focusing on the good things. Smart people simply want to be happy and pray to stay that way for a long time. If you derive your joys within rather than the external forces, brighter days will come. However if you need other people to make you feel happy, that is the time that you need to get away.
- Resting when necessary. If you get enough rest, nothing can break you. Sleeping is important because it recharges your brains and emotions.